Getting ready for a trip to NYC for the tail end of New York fashion week, I found myself wanting to “pre-tox” or fortify in the face of airline flights, time zone changes, crazy work hours, irregular meals, limited sleep and ok, maybe a few martinis.
“Pre-toxing” is the concept of nourishing your body from the inside out by eating, sleeping and fortifying your way towards an intense event. As fashion month and pilot season are upon us, what follows are some tools that have worked for the Impact Styling team:
Make choices that are easy, packed with protein and low on the glycemic index so as to keep steady energy. Here are some of my favorite choices:
- Protein Smoothie. Check out Plant Fusion's recipe here.
- Almond Milk with 10x Protein. Click here for the recipe.
- Lean Protein - Plant Fusion, Tofu, Beast Burgers. Click here for some quick delicious vegan ideas.
- Low Carb Vegetables - Asparagus, Bok Choy, Haricots Vert, Spinach, Kale, Jicama, Celery
- Low Glycemic Fruit - Watermelon, Berries
Plan your diet around raw fruits and vegetables that are rich in enzymes. Add small amounts of immune-boosting foods such as lean meat and nuts.
The body is capable of storing vitamins (not vitamin C) in the liver, kidneys and fatty tissues for long periods. Stocking up beforehand makes up for nutrients you miss out on later.
A little indulgence recipes:
Goop Morning Smoothie:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla mushroom protein powder
- 1 teaspoon maca
- 1 teaspoon ashwagandha
- 1 teaspoon ho shou wu
- 1 teaspoon cordyceps
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
- pinch vanilla powder (optional)
- Directions: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blitz to combine. Serves 1.
- 60g cacao butter, chopped into small chunks
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons raw organic coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini or macadamian butter
- 1-2 tablespoons raw honey
- Add 1/4-teaspoon vanilla powder
- Optional: Add nuts and fruit. My favorite combinations are almonds with sea salt; macadamias and orange rind with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg; dried cherries with lemon rind; crystalized ginger and gogi berries.
- Directions: Melt cacao butter in a glass bowl over boiling water. Stir in all other ingredients and remove from heat. Pour chocolate into molds or a flat tray lined with parchment paper. Place in freezer. It takes 10-20 minutes to set. Either pop the molds out or break the brick of chocolate into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Try to keep it to water, herbal tea and fresh, green juices. Add fresh lemon, mint, cucumber or pair to filtered water for taste and to create alkaline balance in your body. Keep your body's ALKALINE/ACID ratio balanced at 80/20 More info on that by clicking here.
Surya Spa Detox Tea:
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp of fennel seeds
- Place seeds in the bottom of a mug and pour hot water over to fill. Allow the tea to brew for three minutes before drinking. Serves 1.
Get eight hours. I love sleeping, but hate going to bed early. I’ve been forcing myself. Awake rested ready to go. Tricky to do, but best for making choices with a clear head.
Just like brushing your teeth, get up and do it.
build your immunity - invest in some supplements.
Probiotics - eighty percent of our immunity is in our gut where most of the vital bacteria that fight off toxins from food and other invading bugs reside. This means that strong digestive health is directly linked to the state of our immune system. If your digestive health is poor, you will struggle to withstand bugs.
- Aloe - Hydration
- Mac - Energy
- Acai Berry - Antioxidant
- Spirulina - Alkaline Balance
Look out for Nucleotide-based supplements, which help our bodies build new immune cells efficiently - vital when we may be run down. Vitamin C is good for a boost, but Vitamin D is harder to come by in winter because we spend so many hours inside, but it is vital for bone health.
The skin reflects our well being. Consistent care and good living will show so work a skin care practice.
- Cleanse your face at the very least once a day in the evening.
- Dry brush your body.
- Use hydrating products - hyaluronic acid, serums, moisturizer.
- Try a mask and exfoliant once a week.
Diana Rylas makes beautifully effective, gentle organic products. Every product delivers strong yet non irritating results dianaralysskinhealth.com
... AND JUST IN CASE
Hand Santizer - ya never know.